PARALEGAL/LEGAL ASSISTANT, Full-time
Missouri Western State University, located in St Joseph, Missouri, just 45 minutes north of Kansas City, invites applicants to join our General Counsel as a Paralegal/Legal Assistant. This position is full-time, will work 37.5 hours per week in a Monday - Friday schedule and is located on campus at 4525 Downs Drive, St Joseph, MO 64507. The University provides excellent benefits including generous paid time off and an excellent retirement program.
We have this opening for a new position who will work with our General Counsel. The Paralegal/Legal Assistant supports the General Counsel by performing responsible, confidential, and complex administrative and paralegal functions.
- Draft and review legal documents.
- Assist with internal investigations and/or preparation of records for litigation files:
- Compile, organize and label documents responsive to discovery;
- Draft and/or review discovery responses;
- Compile and prepare exhibits for pleadings, position statements, claim letters, depositions, etc.;
- Support investigations by:
- Researching and collecting factual information using internal resources, contacts, public records and on-line resources;
- Collecting, reviewing and analyzing documents and data.
- Assist the General Counsel with development of training and related materials.
- Develops and maintains policy and processes for all open records requests coming to the Office of General Counsel as required under the laws of the State of Missouri. Establishes and maintains an online process for making open records requests. Assesses and responds appropriately to all open records requests. Interacts with all offices across campus to coordinate records requests, establishes protocols and processes, tracks timelines for requests, provides records compatible with state and University requirements, monitors costs and billing.
- Provides support and facilitates larger projects managed by others and may manage less-complex projects.
- Provide reception, answer telephones, and other clerical or administrative support for the General Counsel.
- Support special projects and initiatives and perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s Degree in Paralegal Studies or its equivalent experience with a minimum work experience of two plus years as a paralegal. OR
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and at least three years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated organizational skills with a strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple responsibilities.
- Ability to understand written legal material.
- Ability to work independently and complete assignments in a timely manner.
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills required.
- Intermediate to Advanced Proficiency of GoogleDocs, SharePoint, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, document management systems, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Respect for, and maintenance of, confidential and private matters.
- Demonstrated ability to provide high levels of customer service internally and externally.
- Professional and collaborative attitude.
- Proven organizational skills in a fast-paced environment; ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects.
- Independent, action-oriented thinker who is able to successfully undertake and complete projects and major tasks with a minimum of supervision.
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience as a paralegal or legal assistant.
- Certified Paralegal, Certified Legal Assistant, or Professional Paralegal through an ABA Paralegal Program or obtained certification through NALA, NFPA, or NALS.
- Experience or familiarity working with higher education institutions, education and employment laws, and state and federal compliance requirements.