Centurions | Actives - Deaf Cultural Awareness Training
There are an estimated 11 million deaf people in the United States and over 10,000 deaf individuals here in the Greater Kansas City area. In order to promote cultural competency and provide equitable experiences for our community members who are deaf and hard of hearing, Centurions will be visiting The Whole Person.
Independent Living Advocate-Deaf Services Micki Keck will be leading us through their Deaf Cultural Awareness Training and basic ASL workshop.
In this session we will:
- Learn the ASL Manual Alphabet
- Learn ASL signs for introductions and greetings
- Discuss the unique culture and perspective of the Deaf community
- Utilize a variety of methods to communicate effectively
- Recognize and implement reasonable accommodations for employee success and customer access
- Understand and utilize the various forms of telecommunication relay services
- Identify additional communication technology and applications
- Appropriately determine effective communication strategies
All participants will receive a certificate courtesy of The Whole Person at the end of the session.